Tuesday, August 7, 2007

80GB PS3 Out, I Get Bitch-Slapped

I don't know what it is about the Canadian Maritimes but they have everything here, including the 80GB PS3. At the Sony Store, HMV, Futureshop, and EB Games located at a Halifax mall I was able to find the 80GB unit, everyone pricing $659. It's interesting because a mere day later Sony's press release has hit the interwebs.

I tried to take a picture for you, I really did. However, for some reason the mall had strict rules against photography of any kind, and for some stranger reason the shopkeepers were hell bent on enforcing it. The guy at HMV even swatted my hand as I lifted for the shot.

What does this mean for the 60GB unit? Well, as Kaz has stated before it is discontinued. This has driven sales to more than double what they have been. However, when the holiday hits and the 60GB is long gone as Sony tells us, price of entry will be back at $659. That would make it more than double the 360 if my price drop predictions ($100 CAD) are correct.

With the strong library not hitting until next year it's easy to say Sony has forfeited this holiday and are looking to next year being the killer season. Whether it's a year to late to push it, we'll see. They will have a few bonuses by then though, Blu-Ray will take over HD DVD and we'll see some titles to convince people. It's not over yet, I still believe the industry is strong enough to support all three consoles.

No comments: