Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sleeping With The Enemy: Conclusion

So, today is the say the PS3 stands before the judge (free will), attorneys (fanboyism), and jury (wallet). I've had it for over a week now, playing when time permitted and honestly enjoying myself with it. Although I only occasionally found myself going to it as a first means of entertainment, every time I picked up the Sixaxis controller I enjoyed myself. There are a few key things that annoyed me about the system, but nothing as crippling as my former mindset would have me believe. However, the benefits of the system were definitely under the negatives.

When I first connected the system and had to create a profile, the ridiculously long process of updating the system, registering a PSN account and updating my games before I could actually play was more than a little annoying. The only thing the system did automatic ally was find my computer and access all of my media, though I've come to expect that thanks to my Xbox 360. It just seems like the user-end experience was not considered too much when they designed the whole updating process. On Xbox, it's a singular 12 second update, coded to a prime little package that can be mass delivered and installed in the blink of an eye. With the PS3, it's download the substantially large file, and then install it.

While on the topic of installation, another minor quip I had was the installation of demos. When I finished downloading the few demos available on the PSN store and went to play them I was prompted with a screen lock-up and was forced to watch a loading bar as the demo for Ninja Gaiden Sigma installed itself. I'm definitely used to the luxury Xbots have of the plug and play nature the XBLM downloads have. The upside to the whole online content debate is definitely the limitless queue (Xbox caps at 6) and power-down downloading, a feature the Xbox only recently received. Also, although the Playstation store was near-vacant the content online (save the classic Playstation downloads) is all first-class.

Comparing the user interface for me was a little strange. I tried to picture the cross-media bar like the Xbox 360 dashboard with it's various blades and menu options. I think they are both very similar in design; left/right switches core function, up/down provides specific task. I think the key difference in the two though, is that where the cross-media bar can use a long list of folder directories that will be confusingly backtracked through, the dashboard lays it all out flat and provides a more aesthetically pleasing way of providing the same information.

The games available on the system, while not stellar were o.k. My favourites include Motorstorm and Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I was hard pressed to find something I hadn't either played on my 360, or simply knew I wouldn't enjoy. Motorstorm is the best first-party title on the system, and although it's no Burnout the game is still very fun and has a unique look to it that lends itself well to the gameplay. I loved Ninja Gaiden, simply because Team Ninja never goes wrong and I will avoid the obvious joke about how it is an original Xbox port.

Resistance: Fall of Man was far below my expectations. Every Playstation owner I know praises the game as the system's best title, but in all honesty I thought it was more than a little uninspired. Each level felt like either a rail-shooter or it was a big box with a kill quotient. It seemed like I would fight my way through tunnels of Chimerans to get to a big space filled with Chimerans only to end up in another pathway. It felt like an amateur dungeon master's mapping skills were the core material for level design. Lastly, although the game avoided any sense of gimmickry it really didn't have any unique elements. It was like playing better looking Prey without the cool warp effects and Native Americanism.

Am I keeping the Playstation? By all means, no. Have I learned to appreciate the other side a little more? Definitely. I think there are still many merits to the PS3, and I will own one eventually. However, at this point the lack of software and benefits over the Xbox 360 really do not speak well for it as a viable use of $600. I will experiment again in the near future, Little Big Planet is too good to resist and I must experience this Home thing Phil Harrison keeps talking about. Anyone interested in an Open Box PS3?

No comments: